Applications for the LISS DTP ESRC Postdoctoral Fellowships are now closed.
The competition is likely to run to a similar timetable in 2019 and further details will be provided in autumn 2018.
The London Interdisciplinary Social Science DTP is inviting applications for seven ESRC-funded postdoctoral fellowships to be based at any of our partner institutions: King’s College London, Queen Mary University of London, or Imperial College London.
These fellowships are aimed at those in the immediately postdoctoral stage of their career, to provide the opportunity to consolidate their PhD through developing publications, their networks, and their research and professional skills. Fellowships will provide funding for up to one year full-time, or up to two years part-time to cover the fellow’s salary plus up to £10,000 of additional costs (e.g., travel, conference attendance, training, fieldwork, mentoring time, etc.).
All Fellows are required to have a mentor based at the research organisation where the fellowship is held. The mentor should have experience and a strong interest in the applicant’s field of research but should not normally have been the applicant’s PhD supervisor. Proposals are welcome from both single disciplines and combinations of disciplines but the fellowship activities must be based at least 50% within the social sciences and must fall under one of LISS DTP’s Thematic Pathways: https://liss-dtp.ac.uk/thematic-pathways/.
The call is open to applicants who:
- have completed their PhD at a research organisation that is part of an ESRC-funded DTP or CDT and
- have no more than 12 months full-time (or pro rata equivalent) of active postdoctoral experience by the competition closing date (23rd March 2018). This is defined as any post involving a research component – it does not include teaching-only contracts. The period is calculated between the date of the viva and 23rd March 2018 (taking into account any career breaks).
- Applicants do not have to have had an ESRC-funded doctoral studentship in order to be eligible to apply.
- At the submission deadline (23rd March 2018), the applicant must either have been awarded a PhD or have submitted their thesis and passed their viva voce with minor corrections, with the expectation that the PhD will be awarded by the fellowship start date (1st October 2018).
Applicants are required to submit a completed application form by 16.00 on 23rd March 2018 via the King’s HireWire page: https://www.hirewire.co.uk/HE/1061247/MS_JobDetails.aspx?JobID=78422.
Please also email the required attachments (in either Word or PDF format) in a single email to email@example.com before this deadline. Please ensure you quote the reference number R6/RGS/2719/17-SB in the subject line of the email.
Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed in May 2018, with final decisions being communicated to applicants in June 2018. Fellowships will commence on 1st October 2018.
- Full details about this call are available here: [PDF] [Doc]
- A list of institutions where applicants must have completed their PhD can be found here: [PDF]
- A list of frequently asked questions and associated answers can be found here: [PDF] [Doc]
- Slides from the Webinar/Postdoctoral Information Event can be found here: [LISS DTP PDF slides 2018]
- The Webinar presentation with audio can be accessed by clicking here
- The ESRC have recently amended the costing guidance for these fellowships to allow mentors’ salaries to be included as ‘other costs’ under the ‘directly allocated’ heading. Please download the revised ‘Summary of resources required for project’ section [Download Form here] and paste it into your application form in place of the existing section. Please note that the combined cost of mentor costs, directly incurred other costs, and travel and subsistence costs are still limited to a maximum of £10,000.
For queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated – 7 March 2018