- International fellowships
- New Internship opportunities
- ESRC Postdoctoral Fellowship
- SSPP PGR Peer-Support Group
- LISS DTP standing items
- LISS DTP Achievements – Hannah Wright Podcast
- LISS DTP Winter Gathering
International fellowships for doctoral and early career Researchers
Applications for International Fellowships are now open! LISS DTP funded students are invited to apply for a Fellowship in the Library of Congress, Washington D.C, US. If you are successful, The fellowships last between 2 and 6 months. You will receive £1,000 for travel and visa costs and £1,925 for each month of the fellowship.
ESRC-funded PhD students are eligible to apply to Library of Congress and as such must be applying to undertake primary research in an ESRC subject area.
Before applying, you must secure the approval of your UK research organisation and supervisor (for PhD students) or head of department (ECRs and research assistants) to attend the placement in full, should the application be successful. Deferred entry applications are not permitted.
For more information and how to apply click here.
2. NEW Internship opportunities
The LISS DTP is currently advertising four Research Assistant Internships, these involve funding in the form of a stipend extension for up to 13 weeks full-time (or part-time equivalent) that allows a LISS DTP funded PhD student to work as a Research Assistant with an academic (other than their immediate supervisor) based at King’s, Queen Mary, or Imperial.
LISS DTP students can apply for the specific research assistant internships below. If you are interested in one or more of these, please get in touch with the person named as Contact. Please note that funding for these internships is only available to ESRC-funded LISS DTP students. The Contact is responsible for selecting the student to take up the internship. Once selected, the student should apply for an internship extension via the form at LISS DTP Internship Extension Application Form 2022/2023 (onlinesurveys.ac.uk) so that the appropriate changes to funding records can be made. Our current opportunities are below:
- LISS Research Assistant Internship – Improving how we support people in self-isolation
- LISS Research Assistant Internship – CONNECT project: CONtributions of social Networks to Community Thriving
- LISS Research Assistant Internship-Policies for Circular Fashion
- LISS Research Assistant Internship – Mental health and changes to the generosity of Universal Credit: a quasi-experimental study.
More information can be found at Internship opportunities – LISS DTP (liss-dtp.ac.uk). If selected, these internships will commence from December 2022 in agreement with the Contact and with your supervisor’s approval. Any enquiries about these opportunities should be directed to email@example.com
3. The 2023 ESRC Postdoctoral Fellowship competition is open!
Further details: https://liss-dtp.ac.uk/esrc-pdf/
Application deadline: 16.00 on 23 March 2023.
- If you would like to find out more about the ESRC Postdoctoral Fellowship competition application process or have any questions please attend our applicant briefing session. The LISS Postdoctoral Fellowship applicant briefing session will be held online on Monday 16 January 2023, 3-4pm. If you would like to attend this session, please register here.
LISS DTP invites applications for seven ESRC-funded Post-Doctoral Fellowships (PDFs) to commence from 1st October 2023 to be held at King’s College London, Queen Mary University of London, or Imperial College London. These provide an opportunity for those in the immediate postdoctoral stage of their career to consolidate their PhD through developing publications, networks, and research and professional skills.
Fellowships will provide funding for up to one year full-time, or up to two years part-time to cover the fellow’s salary plus up to £10,000 of additional costs (e.g. travel, conference attendance, training, fieldwork, mentoring time, etc.).
All Fellows are required to have a mentor based at the research organisation where the fellowship is held. The mentor should have experience and a strong interest in the applicant’s field of research but should not normally have been the applicant’s PhD supervisor. Proposals are welcome from both single disciplines and combinations of disciplines but the fellowship activities must be based at least 50% within the social sciences and must fall under one of LISS DTP’s Thematic Pathways: https://liss-dtp.ac.uk/thematic-pathways/.
The call is open to applicants who:
- Have completed their PhD at a research organisation that is part of an ESRC-funded DTP –please see a list of DTPs here. Applicants are not required to have previously held an ESRC funded studentship in order to be eligible to apply.
- Have been awarded a PhD or have passed their viva voce with minor amendments by the application deadline of 23 March 2023 and have been awarded their PhD by the fellowship start date of 1 October 2023.
- Have no more than 12 months full-time (or pro rata equivalent) of active postdoctoral experience by the competition closing date, 23 March 2023.
The Call specification, Frequently Asked Questions and Application Form are available on the LISS DTP website: https://liss-dtp.ac.uk/esrc-pdf/.
You can also find out more about our current and alumni PDFs here: Current Postdoctoral Fellows – LISS DTP (liss-dtp.ac.uk)
If you have any queries, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. SSPP PGR Peer-Support Group (King’s College London)
Xenia Stieger, a LISS DTP student, is leading a brand-new peer support group specifically for PGRs in the Faculty of Social Science and Public Policy at King’s So far it is being piloted for PGR students registered at KCL, however they hope to expand – watch this space!
Click here to reserve your spot at the next session: SSPP PGR Peer-Support Group (King’s College London) Tickets, Wed, Dec 14, 2022 at 7:15 PM | Eventbrite
If you have any questions please contact email@example.com
5. LISS DTP Standing Items
- LISS DTP Phase 3 COVID Extensions for students with end of funding dates between 01/04/2023 – 30/09/2023 –
For full details and how to apply see: https://liss-dtp.ac.uk/current-students/coronavirus-covid19/
- LISS DTP STUDENT – complete the online application form by 17:00 on 11 January 2023.
- LISS DTP STUDENT – submit a revised plan (one-sided page) for completing your thesis to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17:00 on 11 January 2023.
- SUPERVISOR – complete the Supervisor Statement form and return it to your PhD supervisee in time for them to submit their application before 17:00 on 11 January 2023.
- Student Profiles Reminder
The 2022/23 cohort can still submit a profile through this form: LISS DTP Student Profile Information Form for Website – 2022/23 Cohort – Google Forms this will close on December 22nd. We will have a page on the LISS DTP website dedicated to your research. This profile page should feature a synopsis of your research and a portrait/headshot of you, or other imagery that illustrates your research. Examples can be found here: Our Funded Students – LISS DTP (liss-dtp.ac.uk)
All students, including continuing students from previous cohorts, will have the opportunity to make updates and additions to your student profile for limited time periods in the future. Please do not email us with profile updates.
7. LISS DTP Achievements
Dr Hannah Wright one of LISS DTP’s funded post-doctoral researchers recently discussed her research findings on the Warrior Nation podcast
Gentleman Bureaucrat Masculinity: Liberal Militarism and the Civil Service (SE4 EP3) – Warrior Nation | Podcast on Spotify
Well done Hannah!
8. LISS DTP Winter Gathering -last chance to sign up!
We have a small handful of spaces left for the LISS-DTP Winter Gathering
Please can any who wishes to attend RSVP via email@example.com.
The event is taking place Monday December 5th at 18:00 pm at the 8th floor venue at Bush House.
We would like to advise all attendees to bring their KCL ID cards if possible, however reception have been notified of those attendees from QMUL and ICL.
We hope to see you there!
This newsletter is available on the LISS DTP website at: LISS DTP Monthly Newsletter – LISS-DTP
Items for next newsletter: The LISS DTP team want to do more to help students disseminate information about events/activities they want to share with the rest of the cohort. If you have any items – Information and/or good news – to be included in our monthly newsletter, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of Cairn MacFarland by the last day of the month to be included in the next newsletter. Be sure to include all details and we’ll include it in our next monthly circular! Newsletters will be sent in the first full working week of every month!