Managing Your LISS DTP Studentship

These pages explain the key  regulations of your studentship and how to access the full range of benefits attached to it.  The primary source of information we’ve used to create this document is your funder, the Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC)’s Postgraduate Funding Guide:

The ESRC’s guide draws on, and is supplemented by, the UKRI Training Grant Guidance and UKRI Training Grant Terms and Conditions:

Facilitating the timely completion students’ awards/degrees is the responsibility of the LISS DTP team and has implications for the future funding our institutions can receive from the ESRC.  We understand that complications and changes in circumstances can arise during your studies.  Please get in touch with us as soon as you experience any problems or issues.  We will do our best to assist, drawing on support/guidance from staff at the institution where you are a registered student to ensure that you receive information and support.

Most questions should be addressed to, but those relating to payments (stipends, RTSG, OIV etc) and institutional regulations should be directed as given under ‘ LISS DTP Institutional Contacts’ below.

Research and Event Funding

Your LISS DTP studentship provides you with many opportunities to secure additional funding for activities that will be beneficial both to your doctoral thesis and your future career.  You can…

Funded Extension Schemes

Extensions are additional periods of funded time that are added to your studentship, extending your award end date but not your final submission deadline.  They recognise the fact that if…


Questions, comments, suggestions or notifications regarding: LISS DTP contact
  • training and events
  • overseas fieldwork, overseas institutional visit, difficult language training, quantitative methods teaching preparation or internship extensions and funding
  • changes in mode, sickness, interruptions
  • ESRC submission deadlines
  • ESRC regulations 
  • stipend payments
  • additional payments such as RTSG
  • fee payments

Home institutions handle payments and reimbursements so please contact your relevant administrator:

  • training provision by the home institution
  • degree regulations at the home institution
Funding end dates and submission dates

The end date of your ESRC award refers to the end of your funded period of study.  Your final submission deadline may be later than your funding end date, if your degree programme allows for unfunded ‘writing-up’ time.  However, the ESRC and LISS DTP advise that you submit your thesis as close to your funding end date as possible, as evidence suggests students often find it very difficult to complete their PhDs  whilst unfunded or while holding full-time jobs.

‘Writing up’ time

The ESRC  states that full-time students have a maximum of 12 months unfunded ‘writing-up’ time after your funding end date to submit your thesis, but your institutional/departmental rules may allow less time than this.  Whilst the ESRC guidelines state that part-time students must submit with 24 months of their funding end date, LISS DTP institutions allow part-time students only one year maximum of ‘writing up’.  You should always work to the earlier of your deadlines- institutional or ESRC- to ensure that you comply with both ESRC and institutional regulations.

If you have been granted an extension to your award such that your funded PhD period is longer than 3 years full-time (or part-time equivalent) (for example, if you receive a 3 month extension for an overseas institutional visit) then you would only have the balance of your final year- 9 months- as unfunded writing up time.

Duration of award

For 1+3 (Master’s and PhD) students at full-time: 4 years.  (For students who undertake their entire award at part-time status- this would be 8 years, 2 year Masters + 6 year PhD).

For +3 students at full-time: 3 years.  (For students who undertake their entire award at part-time status- 6 years).

Students  awarded +3 studentships after they have already commenced doctoral studies have the length of funding adjusted, such that they are funded until the end of the 3rd year as a full-time student, or the end of your 6th year as a part-time student.

The dates at which the funded period of your award starts and ends will have been listed in your studentship offer letter, which you should keep for reference.  If you change between part and full-time status or receive extensions or interruptions to your study period, the duration of your award payment period will be adjusted.


Full-time students are allowed up to eight weeks’ holiday (including public holidays) each year as approved by their supervisor.  (Pro-rata calculations should be made for part-time students and periods less than a year).

In case of doubt….

If you have any doubts about your award end date or thesis submission deadline throughout your studies, please contact for clarification.  LISS  DTP is not automatically notified of changes to dates on  internal university systems, so we rely on students keeping us informed so that dates can be aligned.

During the pandemic the position regarding overseas travel is rather complex and changing frequently.  Whether or not you can travel overseas to pursue research is determined by your institution (King’s, Queen Mary or Imperial).  If you seek  LISS DTP funding to support an overseas trip, the ESRC rules also apply. The ESRC does not support travel to areas where the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office advises against travel.

If you are considering an overseas research trip, please:

1) Check whether or not the trip will be permitted by your home institution

2) If  travel is permitted by your home institution, check whether travel to the area is permitted by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCO)

3) If both your home institution and the FCO permit travel, then LISS DTP can support you

4) If either your home institution OR the FCO OR both do not permit travel then LISS DTP cannot support your trip

If  you have any questions in relation to the above, please email 

You should consult with your supervisors on any work (including teaching and additional research) taken outside of your studentship and obtain their agreement that such work will not delay your progress.  The UKRI recommendation is that full-time students spend no more than six hours a week in employment, and the ESRC expects that you spend at least 1,800 ours in year (1,650 if holiday is taken into account) on your research. This figure equates to a 37.5 hour week for 48 weeks.

Students are not obliged to undertake teaching or other work for their University, but if they do it must be paid at the usual rate and supported by appropriate training.

Those with full-time studentships  cannot hold either a full-time job, or permanent part-time job, during their award.  Those with part-time studentships cannot hold full-time jobs.

You can apply for an interruption for up to 12 months in order  to undertake paid work deemed beneficial to the quality of your doctoral research.  When your studentship is interrupted, your tuition fees and stipend are not paid, so you would return to your studies with the same time remaining on your award as when you left, and your submission deadline also shifts to reflect the time away from your studies.  Your supervisor must be consulted/approve such an interruption.  If you are a part-time student and the work you wish to undertake would also be part-time, then you may be entitled to more than 12 months’ interruption.

Please also see the information about Internships.

Parental and Medical Leave & Disabled Student Allowance

Parental Leave If you become pregnant such that the expected date of confinement will occur during the period of your award, you are entitled to 52 weeks of maternity or…

Interruptions and Change of Status

Facilitating the timely completion of LISS DTP students’ awards/degrees is the responsibility of the LISS DTP team and has implications for the future funding our institutions can receive from the…