- This event has passed.
The Entrepreneurial Mindset Programme
25th March @ 10:00 AM - 1st July @ 5:00 PM
What is the Entrepreneurial Mindset?
‘The Entrepreneurial Mindset’ is a training programme designed by King’s Entrepreneurship Institute and offered to PhD students across the different faculties at King’s. The programme aims to provide students with an opportunity to develop their skills as innovators, critical thinkers, and collaborators, as well as to enhance future career insights.
Please see the video by King’s Entrepreneurial Institute with further info on the programme here.
The multi-disciplinary and cohort-focused philosophy of the programme ensures that graduates will leave their University equipped to tackle key social challenges in a rapidly changing world.
The programme is based on the Seven Skills of an Entrepreneurial Mindset framework, developed by King’s Entrepreneurship Institute. The core areas of training are focused on purposeful development actions:
- Think Lean
- Be Resilient
- Build teams
- Impact and productivity
Whether starting your own company, working for a start-up or joining a corporation, developing these skills will enhance your employability prospects and offer you a much diverse way of thinking about your future and commercialize your ideas.
What will the training involve?
The Entrepreneurial Mindset programme will run over 4 sessions between March-July 2021, with additional team coaching sessions and a Live Pitch event. The format of delivery (in-person or online) will be confirmed in the New Year.
It is mandatory that students attend all 4 training sessions, coaching sessions and the Live Pitch event.
- This training opportunity is available for ESRC funded PhD students who are in the advanced stages of their PhD or are close to submission.
- Due to the time commitment required for this of this training, applications from students currently completing their MRes will not be considered.
- Year 1 students must have passed their MPhil/PhD upgrade to be eligible.
Course Delivery Dates:
- Session 1: Building Diverse and Effective Teams – Thursday 25 March, 2021
- Session 2: Why and How to generate Disruptive Ideas – Thursday 22 April, 2021
- Team Coaching Session 1: Growth Hacker (1 Hour) – w/c 7 May, 2021
- Session 3: How to Validate an Idea – Thursday 27 May, 2021
- Session 4: How to Create a Compelling Pitch – Thursday 24 June, 2021
- Team Coaching Session 2 : Pitch Coaching (1 Hour) – w/c 28 June, 2021
- Closing Event: Live Pitch – Thursday 1 July, 2021
TOTAL = 48 hours
Students are required to attend all four stages – the programme has been designed to take you on a journey to build skills and experiences and to forge supportive peer relationships, develop your network and enhance multidisciplinary team working.
By completing all four sessions and the required work between sessions, participants will gain:
- Entrepreneurial skills and mindset
- Certificate of Completion of the programme
- LinkedIn Endorsement from the Entrepreneurship Institute
- Video of their individual final pitch
The programme will be delivered in four stages, from March to July 2021.
Session 1: Building Diverse and Effective Team – Thursday 25th March
An interactive workshop covering why teams and diversity are essential for innovation, skill mix, team formation and leadership whilst also developing an understanding of how effective and transparent teams work in unknown environments. The workshop will cover team dynamics and how to deal with conflict within teams. In this workshop you will form your team that you will work with for the rest of the programme.
Delivered by: Yo Percale, Executive Coach in Residence, Entrepreneurship Institute and Rachel Stockey, Head of Entrepreneurial Skills, Entrepreneurship Institute
Session 2: How to Have Disruptive Ideas – Thursday 22nd April
An innovation hack supporting creative approaches to innovation and disruptive thinking. Working in your teams you will begin the process of starting your own start up right from the ideation stage. You will learn the skill of having ideas, the benefits of being problem focused and how to become a disruptor in your field.
Delivered by: Theo Ohene, Growth Hacker in Residence, Entrepreneurship Institute and Rachel Stockey, Head of Entrepreneurial Skills, Entrepreneurship Institute
Team Coaching Session 1: Growth Hacker (1 Hour) – w/c 7 May, 2021
Session 3: How to Validate an Idea – Thursday 27th May
In this session you will learn the fundamentals of how to “validate” an idea – that is how to check if an idea will actual work and will actually fix the problem you set out to solve. This session will cover customer development, design thinking and prototyping.
Delivered by: Theo Ohene, Expert in Residence, Entrepreneurship Institute and Rachel Stockey, Head of Entrepreneurial Skills, Entrepreneurship Institute
Session 4: How to Create a Compelling Pitch – Thursday 24th June
An interactive workshop to learn how to construct and deliver a compelling pitch and bring an audience on board with your ideas. This session will prepare you for the final pitch off event where you get to showcase your ideas and have your very own Dragon’s Den moment.
Delivered by: Jenna Davies, Pitch Coach in Residence, Entrepreneurship Institute and Rachel Stockey, Head of Entrepreneurial Skills, Entrepreneurship Institute and King’s 20 entrepreneurs.
Team Coaching Session 2: Pitch Coaching (1 Hour) – w/c 28 June, 2021
Closing Event: Live Pitch – Thursday 1 July, 2021
Each team will have three minutes to deliver a compelling pitch for their idea to an expert panel of judges and audience representing different routes into entrepreneurial skills.
Delivered by: Rachel Stockey, Head of Entrepreneurial Skills, Entrepreneurship Institute and operational support from Entrepreneurship Institute
All participants will receive the following support:
- Mentoring and drop-in sessions after sessions 2 and 3 to help with finding a viable idea and validating this via market research
- A community will be established online to encourage peer to peer support and interaction.
- Pathways at the end of each year will be enhanced to include entrepreneurial pathways. Some participants may have developed ideas that work as ventures/start-ups and these students can move forward with the Entrepreneurship Institute and enjoy support such as workshops, advice, drop-in sessions, idea competitions, acceleration and investment.
How to apply:
Please note that this opportunity is restricted to students who are in receipt of an ESRC studentship through LISS DTP. Please complete the form here to say you wish to participate and confirming that you have consulted your supervisor who supports your application. The closing date for applications is Friday 27th November.
Available places will be allocated on a ‘first come first served basis’ and we will confirm your place by Friday, 8 Jan 2021. Your name and KCL email address will be shared with the Entrepreneurship Institute if you are successful in your application so that you can receive information about the training.
If you have any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org